Real Local RVA offers two ways to join. You are either:
— A Participant — or — A Supporter —
based on the type of business you operate. Read below to see where your business fits in!
*If you are interested in becoming a member, we welcome you join us at one of our monthly meetings at St. Stephen’s Church in Richmond, VA and meet some of our members! We meet the first Monday of each month at 10:30 a.m. (February-November).
–PARTICIPANTS of Real Local RVA are defined as: “Members of the food community who are currently sourcing or actively engaging in sourcing local ingredients and products as part of their mission.”–
Meet our Participants here.
These types of businesses include:
- Independent grocers
- Business creating a local food/drink product for sale
- Food/drink related organizations not encompassed in the above
Participant Benefits include:
- Marketing resources to help you share your commitment to a more robust local economy
- Access to a network of change-makers in your industry facing the same challenges
- An active voice in Real Local’s agenda as an organization
- Educational programming
- Opportunities to partner for events and participate in cooperative advertising around local food, farming and wellness
- Listing on Real Local’s website
- Plus – supporter benefits!
The Participant’s business must be:
- Located within approximately 100 miles of the center of the Capital Region measured from the University of Richmond.
- Privately held not publicly traded.
- Greater than 50% of the business ownership must live within 50 miles of the business
- $180/year (Just $15 a month!)
- $60/year for farmers or non-profits
For additional locations:
$60 per year in addition to the original fee for each additional location under the same business name
$120 per year in addition to the original fee for each additional location under a different business name
–SUPPORTERS of Real Local RVA are defined as: “A local business, organization, or individual interested in supporting local food and the growth of Richmond’s food economy.”–
Meet our Supporters here.
Supporter Benefits include:
- Attend engaging monthly meetings about issues surrounding how local food contributes to economic sustainability, the environment, and wellness
- Opportunities to build valuable community partnerships
- Early access to tickets for events hosted by Real Local and its partners
- Opportunities to sponsor events
- Listing on Real Local’s website
The Supporter’s business must be:
- Located in Virginia with no corporate or national headquarters located outside of Virginia.
- Must be a privately held, not publicly traded company.
- Greater than 50% of the business ownership must live in Virginia
- $60/year non-profits
What’s the process to join?
Fill out an application through our online form. The Leadership Board will review your application within 30 days. You will be contacted via email once your local business is accepted with details on where to send your payment. If you are applying to be a Participant, you will need to print the Licensing Agreement and send to Good Foods Grocery, P.O.Box 3468, Richmond, VA 23235.
What is the difference between a Participant and a Supporter?
Participants of Real Local RVA are actively ‘participating’ in the local food system. They are growing (farmers), serving (restaurants), creating (products) or selling (grocery) the food we eat. These businesses are embedded in the community, are our greatest advocates, our storytellers, and will help to grow the integrity of Real Local RVA and it’s place in the community.
Supporters of Real Local RVA are “cheerleaders.” They support the mission of Real Local RVA and want to be a partner in helping to grow the local food movement. They are interested in connecting and networking with the Participants and other Supporters and attending and/or hosting Real Local events.