Did you know each dollar spent at an independent business returns 3X more money to our local economy than one spent at a chain – AND 50x more than one spent at an online mega-retailer? We wanted to offer you some great ways to shop locally this holiday season, and we feel confident our list offers something for everyone on your list! Happy LOCAL shopping from all of us at Real Local RVA!
Our collaboration with Gifted RVA offers a great gift box that includes our member’s products! A couple clicks and you’ve ordered the perfect gift filled with local food!
You can also check out a selection of our member’s products in our collection on the Retail Merchants Association Local Gift Guide
Give the gift of fresh food! Many of our farmers offer CSA programs (Community Supported Agriculture) where you reserve your food in advance of the season. CSA programs enable farmers to raise vital cash during the non-harvest season, and farm members gain a deeper relationship with the farms they choose to support.
- Agriberry Farm has multiple options for a fruit share where members receive weekly pre-made boxes or “harvest shares,” of fresh, local fruit grown by Agriberry Farm and their partner farms.
- The Garden Share from Amy’s Garden provides members with 5-8 different produce items each week in quantities easily consumed in that time frame; the Share is appropriate for 1-2 people who really love their vegetables or a small family.
- Owned and operated by Janet Aardema and Dan Gagnon, Broadfork Farm is a small family farm in Chesterfield, VA providing the metro-Richmond area with Certified Naturally Grown vegetables, herbs, and flowers. They offer a CSA from May-November with pick-up locations around Richmond.
- delli Carpini farm is an old-fashioned diverse vegetable farm located in Beaverdam, VA based on the classic American model of the roadside stand and truck farmer. They offer full or half share CSA options.
- Looking for a creative gift for that special someone? How about delicious, healthy meals and snacks that they don’t have to plan, prepare, or clean up after? While not a CSA, Daily Jars offers gift certificates for their healthy, low-allergen meals, freshly prepared for pickup or delivery with many locally sourced ingredients.
You can also find a great selection of local food and products at many of our member’s brick and mortar locations. Gift certificates from these locations make great gifts as well!
- Cardinal State Butchers in Bon Air carries local and sustainably raised meats and seafood, and a great selection of local cheeses, wine and beer.
- Ellwood Thompson’s Local Market is a small, independent, local, organic market located in Carytown that carries an array of local food, drink and handmade products.
- Located in Bon Air, Good Foods Grocery offers a full line of natural foods. With an extensive bulk department, wonderful local and organic produce and a fabulous, made-from-scratch deli it’s a great place to pick up local gifts.
- Hardywood Park Craft Brewery has 3 locations in the Richmond area. As big supporters of local Hardywood continues with its sharp focus on brewing quality, sourcing local, environmental stewardship, community engagement, and giving back.
- Libbie Market grocery store is locally owned and operated in the Libbie and Grove area. Known for its Prepared Meals, Bakery, Coffee Bar, and a Certified Angus Butcher shop, Libbie Market is the perfect place to shop for everyday items as well as unique artisan products.
- Located in Richmond’s Northside, Little House Green Grocery is an independent green grocery, sourcing great food locally. They also offer a weekly veggie box subscription sourcing from many of our member farms as well as a wine club subscription.
- Outpost Richmond is a unique combo of bike shop and market located in the Westover Hills area. Carrying many local products, this shop is an awesome place to get gifts for the adventure seeker on your list!
- Union Market is a neighborhood cafe and market in Union Hill with sandwiches, soups salads, a craft beer and a curated wine selection, many local and small-batch products, and assorted convenience items.
If a gift certificate to a place to visit later is your jam, these locations are must visits in the RVA area!
- Perk! Coffee and Lunchbox is a neighborhood coffee shop located in Bon Air with great coffee, made from scratch baked goods, and a welcoming environment!
- Mise en Place is Richmond’s premier culinary center, specializing in creative cooking classes, team building events, private culinary functions & one of a kind wine programs. Give the gift of cooking!
- Rappahannock Restaurant is a farm to table seafood restaurant on E. Grace Street founded by two oyster farmer cousins. A great option for the seafood lover on your list.
- Real Richmond Food Tours – Give the gift of an awesome food tour of our city! Real Richmond offers multiple options for experiencing some of the best food Richmond has to offer.
- Sub Rosa Bakery is a wood fired bakery and stone-milling operation located in the historic neighborhood of Church Hill, specializing in the timeless craft of bread and pastry using organic, regional, and heirloom grains.
- Sugar & Twine is a local coffee shop in Carytown with hand-made pastries using fresh ingredients. With dairy-free and gluten-free options, this is a great place for all to visit!
- The Daily Kitchen & Bar – with two locations in Richmond (Carytown and Short Pump) the food at the Daily is not only delicious, but also health conscious, environmentally friendly and socially responsible. Offering an extensive selection of vegetarian, vegan, gluten free and paleo options.
Many of our members sell their local products online with the convenience of being shipped right to your door. Or, order a few of these and put together your own gift box. They make great host/hostess gifts!
- AR’s Hot Southern Honey
- Back Pocket Provisions Bloody Mary Mixes
- Blanchard’s Coffee
- Clark & Hopkins Culinary Sauces
- Freckled Flower Farm fresh local blooms
- Gratisfied Empower Bars
- Gammys & Buoys freeze-dried organic fruit
- Lil’ Sprouts Microgreens subscription
- Mother Shrub Drinking Vinegars
- Navy Hill “Sonic” Mixer
- O’MY Dairy Free Gelato
- PastryBase Gluten Free Baking Mixes
- Peg’s Salt
- Pro-Chi Lentil Crunch
- River City Flame Hot Sauce and Seasoning Salts
- Rooted Delights Vegan Cheese
- The Spelt Gourmet Cookie Co.
- Triple Stamp Press Screen Printed Tees
- Virginia Foodie branded gifts
- Wild Earth Fermentation Sauerkraut
If donating is your goal this season, we have lots of great nonprofits for you to support! Gift the gift of giving back! Some have direct links on their sites, while others you may have to email.
- Birdhouse Farmer’s Market
- Center for Rural Culture
- Common Grain Alliance
- Dorey Park Farmers Market
- Fall Line Farms & Local Roots
- Local Food Hub
- Shalom Farms
- St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church, Cafe and Farmer’s Market
- Tricycle Urban Ag
- Reynolds Community College
- Retail Merchants Association
- Virginia Association for Biological Farming
- Virginia Farmer’s Market Association
- Virginia Foodshed Capital
- Virginia State University – Small Farm Outreach Program